20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop

Sunday, December 26, 2004

The year of heated warfare and brazen exhilaration is over. 2005 will be a year of rolled up sleeves and the results of our choices. Not that the war in Iraq will end, but the worst of that conflict and the end of the political campaign leaves in its wake a time of settling in and working through the next steps.

There will never be a V-T Day, when we wave the flag, march in parades, and celebrate the surrender of the mortal enemy, Terrorism. And 2005 will be a continuation of that heated fight, and we will suffer casualties both at home and abroad. But the year will be one of progress at home and in foreign affairs. Not advancement that dazzles, but workmanlike, serious, and ultimately world-changing.

Here are 20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop:

1. Iraq: There will be no meaningful reduction in the number of U.S. troops in Iraq during 2005, and there may be an increase. However, the insurgency will begin losing its popular support and violence will decline.

2. Iran: The opposition in Iran will grow in strength and the government will accelerate meaningful reforms rather than face upheaval. There will be a thaw in U.S.-Iranian relations.

3. Palestinians: There will be significant progress on an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement, with Egypt and Jordan exercising a strong hand. A firm timetable will be set for the establishment of a Palestinian State.

4. Attack on the U.S.: As a result of the progress in the Middle East, those who do not benefit from the advance of democracy will turn to additional terror in the U.S. and attempt another major attack in 2005.

5. Deaths: There will be major losses in evangelical leadership, as key leaders die. As I’ve mentioned in this space, there is a generational shift in the evangelical community, with the entrepreneurs of the 1950’s passing or fading from active involvement. (Who will die in 2005, and what will the impact be? I’ve provided my 15 names to the morbid Dead Pool, competing to predict the most of those who will pass to the next life during 2005. Mine are a combination of religious leaders, statesmen, and heads of state, among others.)

6. Conservatives: Bush will begin falling out of favor with the most conservative groups, as more focus returns to domestic issues and he fails to deliver on their social priorities.

7. Evangelical Politics: The political high water mark will soon pass for the evangelicals, as leading evangelicals overplay their hand and politicians calculate that they will succeed in 2006 with more moderated positions.

8. Network Change: At least one of the major networks will make an attempt to bring more conservative viewpoints to its reports, but in a way that will be more showcasing than meaningful change.

9. Blogosphere: Blogging will explode, but there will be efforts to organize the blogosphere to create categories of bloggers, and to further separate types of blogs and degrees of professionalism.

10. Charity Scandal: There will be a major legal case against one or more charities, probably Trinity Broadcasting Network, but perhaps elsewhere. This will have a slight negative impact on charitable giving.

11. Supreme Court: Two Supreme Court seats vacancies will be created, one at Chief Justice. Bush will want only two confirmation battles, so he will nominate two new justices—a conservative for Chief Justice, and a moderate for Associate Justice. This will enrage just about everyone, but both will be confirmed.

12. Bin Laden: Osama Bin Laden will be captured or more likely killed, but the impact will be largely symbolic, since he has been ineffective hiding in a cave anyway.

13. Fair Tax: The Fair Tax movement will grow and progress will be made in the Congress, although passage is years away.

14. Radio: Democrats will push for a return of the Fairness Doctrine, as an attempt to defang the Republican advantage on talk radio. The effort will not succeed.

15. China: The growing business class in China will push for more civil freedoms as their economic power grows, and the Communist government will yield some ground.

16. Same-Sex Marriage: The homosexual community in America will change tactics, backing away from the same-sex marriage initiatives and seeking equal rights for homosexual couples without using “marriage” language. This will not raise the same red flags among many groups across the country.

17. Economics: There will be steady economic growth, and the stock market will continue its climb and end the year over 11,000.

18. Pharmaceuticals: The positive economic trends will be marred by the collapse of major pharmaceutical companies, fueled by massive class action suits.

19. Social Security: Social security restructuring will see some progress in 2005 because of a relentless campaign by the Bush administration. Fear of demagoguery will prevent meaningful reform, but the steps taken will be seen—in retrospect—as the beginning of serious change.

20. EU: The European Union will seek to flex its muscle and establish itself as a major economic and political competitor to the United States—opposing the U.S. on key international and trade policies. The U.S. will shrug and turn to the Far East.

That’s the view from our rooftop. How do you see the New Year forming up? Share your predictions or argue with ours.



--James Jewell

33 comments:

rooftop said...

Thanks for the encouraging note. Don't care too much if you agree with everything; I'm mostpleased if it is causing you to think. All the best in the New Year.

I haven't done a lot of geneology work on my name, but I know Jewell is English. Don't know if it's Cornish.

Jim

Anonymous said...

James,

Good thoughts. I assume you're submitting this for the Christian Carnival this week. If not, you should. You're spot on for 6, 7 and 9. I suspect you are off on 2, 3 and 11, but we shall see.

Mark S.

rooftop said...

Thanks. Yes, I submitted this to the Christian Carnival. I wonder what the impact may be in the New Year of the massive loss of life this week in Asia. What a unbelievable tragedy. Glad to see you're calling for assistance through World Vision, Mark. Of the Christian agencies, they alone have the operation to address these needs on a broad scale.

Jim

Anonymous said...

It really is difficult to tell what the impact of the disaster will be. One can only hope that it will bring us all together. However, given particularly what the person from the UN said, it may not have that effect.

The magnitude of this is so big that it will take months, or years, to sort it out.

Mark S.

Anonymous said...

Good, thoughtful list; I'd bet it turns out at least 75-80% accurate.

Have a good New Year and thanks for the thoughtful controversy this past year.

Whymrhymer
http://whymrhymer101.blogspot.com

Happy New Year! May 2005 bring you, and yours, nothing but health & happiness.

Anonymous said...

feel free to come on in and check it out anytime. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi I just wanted to send a quick note to let you know I really enjoyed

Anonymous said...

has something for everyone. Come on by and check it out soon Enjoy. :)

Anonymous said...

cool! A blog where health food store atlanta matters! Cool ! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Nice blog on house publisher random. It is always nice to locate an information source like this one. If you need some more resources, I invite you to our site which has lots of fresh information on house publisher random . Thanks...

Anonymous said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about banjo paterson. You can check it out at banjo paterson

Anonymous said...

Your blog is creative, keep up the great work. Now, this may be of interest to you to look for B.S. In Electrical Engineering Online Degree Take a look, if you have a minute for B.S. In Electrical Engineering Online Degree.
Your blog is cool. Hope you don't stop. By the way, this may be of interest to you to look for B.S. In Electrical Engineering Online Degree Take a look, if you have a minute for B.S. In Electrical Engineering Online Degree.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rooftop MediaWorks, I found your blog post 20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop whilst looking for info on Fraser Fir Christmas Trees. Yours is an interesting Blog and I can see why it came up when i use 'Fraser Fir Christmas Trees' in the search. Thanks for a great read, I'll be back for more! Bye for now.

Anonymous said...

Hi there " Rooftop MediaWorks " --- I was in the search engines researching SEO Software when I came upon your blog..... I don't know if you are out of place in the engines, or I am out of place and just don't realize it :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rooftop MediaWorks, I was looking around for information about Fraser Fir Christmas Trees and found your 20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop post. It's not bang on what I was looking for but it was a good read so I'm glad I found it! I can see why it showed up when I searched on the term Fraser Fir Christmas Trees. Thanks a lot and I'll stop by again :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rooftop MediaWorks, I was looking around for information about xmas trees and found your 20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop post. It's not bang on what I was looking for but it was a good read so I'm glad I found it! I can see why it showed up when I searched on the term xmas trees. Thanks a lot and I'll stop by again :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Rooftop MediaWorks, isn't the internet amazing? I was out looking for info and sites related to xmas trees and the search put up your post '20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop'. Whilst it's not exactly what I was looking for I can see why it came up when I searched on xmas trees and other terms. Just thought I'd let you know I stopped by. Bye for now and thanks for a good read!

Anonymous said...

mortgage articles for refinance mortgage home loans

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a gift retirement site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Rooftop MediaWorks, u r doing great work. Keep it up. I was so inspired by this - just what we roman flocked artificial christmas trees people need.

Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Rooftop MediaWorks. I was searching for information on santa claus suits and came across your post 20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop - not quite what I was looking for related to santa claus suits but very nice all the same!

We're all getting ready for Christmas and I've just put the finishing touches to my new site specially for kids, or rather their parents and relatives. You can go there and get Santa to send a really nice personalized letter to a youngster. It's great fun! If you have a moment, perhaps you'd enjoy taking a look: Letter from Santa .

Well, a merry Christmas to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rooftop MediaWorks,

Your blog "20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop", leads me to believe you will find my information on baby names meanings and other baby subjects to be beneficial.

You are also welcome to publish your own experiences on hair loss in my free directory ... sharing your knowledge will help others and you also get the benefit of recognition and a valuable backlink to your own blog. If you have a few minutes to spare, please have a look at my articles on babies names and baby stuff now!

Best Wishes
Emily

Anonymous said...

Hey Rooftop MediaWorks,

Your blog "20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop", leads me to believe you will find my information on top ten baby names and other baby subjects to be beneficial.

You are also welcome to publish your own experiences on babies in my free directory ... sharing your knowledge will help others and you also get the benefit of recognition and a valuable backlink to your own blog. If you have a few minutes to spare, please have a look at my articles on babies names and baby stuff now!

Best Wishes
Emily

Anonymous said...

We live in a world where collapsable xmas trees is real, whether we like it or not. And posts like 20 New Year Predictions from the Rooftop remind us of that. Along with the thought that maybe, just maybe, there is a solution or an answer that we could not only live with, but positively embrace. Any takers?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see this santa claus related article. It isnt anything special but you may find it interesting.

Anonymous said...

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Jual beli Egold Indonesia paling murah

Anonymous said...

shanghai hotel
guangzhou hotel
shenzhen hotel
beijing hotel
guangzhou hotel
Shenzhen hotel
shanghai hotel
beijing hotel
回转支承
转盘轴承
slewing ring
slewing bearing
slewing bearings
china hotel

Anonymous said...

クレジットカード現金化とは、キャッシング枠を枠一杯利用済みで、さらに現金を必要としている方を狙った、アンダーグラウンドなサービスです。ク レジットカードには、通常、ショッピング専用のショッピング枠と、キャッシング専用のキャッシング枠が存在しています。キャッシング枠を目一杯利用してい ると、当然ながら、カードで現金を借りることが出来なくなります。ショッピングは可能な状態ですが、そのショッピング枠だと、利用用途や利用場所に制限が 生まれます。

Anonymous said...

"Yes, take me with you," said Eliza. www.ignmax.com Then they spent the whole night

in weaving a net with the pliant willow and rushes. It was very large and strong. Eliza laid herself down on the net,

and when the sun ignmax.com rose, and her brothers again became wild swans, they

took up the net with their beaks, and flew up to the clouds with their dear sister, who still slept. The sunbeams fell

on her face, therefore one of ignmax the swans soared over her head, so that his

broad wings might shade her. They were far from the land when Eliza woke. She thought she must still be dreaming, it

seemed so strange http://www.ignmax.com to her to feel herself being carried so

high in the air over the sea. By her side wow7gold lay a branch full of

beautiful ripe wow 7 gold berries, and a bundle of sweet roots; the youngest of

her brothers had gathered them www.wow7gold.com for her, and placed them by her

side. She smiled her thanks to him; she knew it was the same who had hovered over her to shade her with his wings. They

were now so high, that wow7gold.com a large ship beneath them looked like a

white sea-gull skimming the waves.

Anonymous said...

"
"Yes, take me with you," said Eliza. www.ignmax.com Then they spent the whole night in weaving a net with the pliant willow and rushes. It was very large and strong. Eliza laid herself down on the net, and when the sun ignmax.com rose, and her brothers again became wild swans, they took up the net with their beaks, and flew up to the clouds with their dear sister, who still slept. The sunbeams fell on her face, therefore one of ignmax the swans soared over her head, so that his broad wings might shade her. They were far from the land when Eliza woke. She thought she must still be dreaming, it seemed so strange http://www.ignmax.com to her to feel herself being carried so high in the air over the sea. By her side wow7gold lay a branch full of beautiful ripe wow 7 gold berries, and a bundle of sweet roots; the youngest of her brothers had gathered them www.wow7gold.com for her, and placed them by her side. She smiled her thanks to him; she knew it was the same who had hovered over her to shade her with his wings. They were now so high, that wow7gold.com a large ship beneath them looked like a white sea-gull skimming the waves.

Anonymous said...

My site is wow7gold.com,you can search wow7gold ,
wow 7 gold ,wow7gold.com aslo.The

another site is www.ignmax.com,this site you can call it : ignmax,
ignmax.com ,www.ignmax.com . Welcome to my

two site:www.wow7gold.com and http://www.ignmax.com .Both of them provide wow gold.

Anonymous said...

铜米机分子蒸馏短程蒸馏薄膜蒸发器导热油
真空泵油飘人|飘人2008|云淡风清意大利留学留学意大利钢管舞油锯割草机绿篱机风力灭火机
留学意大利意大利留学好日子小吃车好日子烧烤小吃车好日子多功能小吃车好日子烧烤车保护膜
律师事务所北京律师事务所法律咨询北京律师北京法律咨询好日子小吃车小吃车好日子小吃车多功能小吃车烧烤小吃车烧烤车
塑料轴承陶瓷轴承破碎镐铣刨机china tourschina travelchina tour packagestibet tour高低温试验箱盐雾试验箱输液轨道
输液吊架
轨道输液架
医用吊架
天轨输液吊杆医用扶手输液架
设备带
治疗带
中心供氧千古一香小吃车千古一香多功能小吃车搬家公司北京搬家公司北京朝阳区搬家公司通州区搬家公司北京通州区搬家海淀区搬家公司北京市丰台搬家公司冷缠带管道防腐胶粘带环氧煤沥青冷缠带聚乙烯防腐胶粘带聚丙烯增强纤维防腐胶带防腐漆涂料环氧树脂漆环氧富锌底漆环氧煤沥青漆防腐涂料防腐材料耐高温漆涂料玻璃鳞片涂料胶泥机柜IBM机柜APC机柜VEOR机柜切换器好日子多功能小吃车好日子小吃车好日子烧烤小吃车北京好日子小吃车加盟好日子小吃车好日子多功能小吃车一品香小吃车千古一香小吃车上海租车上海汽车租赁上海租车网平安保险北京北京平安保险石材翻新石材结晶石材养护搬家公司
北京市搬家公司
朝阳区搬家公司通州搬家公司
顺义搬家公司亦庄搬家公司玻璃喷砂机
喷砂机
打砂机
玻璃机械北京印刷汽车蓄电池翻新电动车电瓶修复蓄电池修复仪
蓄电池修复蓄电池修复机电池修复
汽车蓄电池修复好日子小吃车好日子多功能小吃车好日子小吃车加盟小吃车炒冰机冰淇淋机豆腐机食品机械好日子小吃车好日子多功能小吃车辣皇上小吃车千古一香小吃车香飘飘小吃车小吃车炒冰机冰淇淋机豆腐机彩色豆腐机食品机械好日子小吃车好日子小吃车好日子小吃车好日子小吃车好日子小吃车好日子小吃车冷缠带管道防腐胶粘带环氧煤沥青冷缠带

 
 
 
 
Copyright © rooftop blog