When I said in a post on Evangelical First Things in Public Life that homosexual unions were not the greatest threat to marriage, I was called “soft” on the issue of same-sex marriages. This made me laugh out loud, because I’m not and because it was probably written by someone has never been married or hasn’t had a serious martial problem (yet).
The greatest threat to the institution of marriage is bad marriages and the decisions and choices that make them bad.
One of my longtime friends, Nancy C. Anderson, is dispensing advice to people in troubled marriages in her book Avoiding the “Greener Grass” Syndrome How to Grow Affair-Proof Hedges Around Your Marriage and at crosswalk.com.
She writes in a recent column:
“If you're struggling in your relationship and feel like you've grown apart from your spouse, today can be the day of new beginnings. I know how lonely, desperate, and exhausted you may feel, because I've felt that way. I was in a marriage full of emptiness. Ron and I were both selfish, angry, and critical; but we aren't anymore. Well . . . I'm still a little selfish, but mostly our lives are full of light and love -- and yours can be too. We admitted our faults, ask for forgiveness, changed our behavior and decided to love each other. Our feelings eventually caught up with our actions and we slowly grew a lovely "green grass" marriage in own backyard”
Joe at Evangelical Outpost has a good post on the dangers to marriage. He writes:
"Social conservatives spend an inordinate amount of hand-wringing over the threat to traditional marriage posed by the legal recognition of same-sex relationships. Gay marriage is, of course, a legitimate concern. But it would take an army of homosexual rights activists several decades to do as much damage to the sacred institution as heterosexuals have done by tolerating no-fault divorce and the repeal of common law marriage. The looming threat pales in comparison to the present danger of destructive marriage laws which have, for at least one young woman, literally become a matter of life and death."
The Greatest Threat to Marriage
Friday, March 25, 2005
--James Jewell
Posted by rooftop at 8:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Dear Rooftop MediaWorks,
One of the article groups on my site is Society ... while searching for details on marriage, I came across The Greatest Threat to Marriage .
It is widely accepted that a lot of the best articles on the internet is created by individuals who blog ... good quality content without the bias and waffle often found elsewhere.
Judging by your blog content I believe you are interested in marriage, and will therefore find our Society category to be of interest. I am frequently looking for individuals to submit articles on their pet subjects and help me to build the directory to everyone's benefit. As a contributor, you get the recognition of having your article published and seen by thousands of web users. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.
Few of us are gifted with the ability to write to professional standards of grammatical correctness ... as a result, many bloggers don't bother to have their articles published.
I accept articles written in an informal style that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I also welcome articles that are uniquely based on your personal knowledge, experiences and opinions. All I ask is that your articles do not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.
There are no costs involved ... please come over and have a look at my blog articles directory for yourself.
Kind Wishes
Emily
Post a Comment